Most people would agree that having a clean, uncluttered house feels pretty great. But did you know that there are actual physical and mental health benefits to keeping a tidy home? So, next time you’re considering putting off the housework, keep these healthy perks in mind — it may cause you to reconsider!
- Say Goodbye to Allergens. Regular cleaning and dusting, along with keeping household clutter to a minimum, significantly decreases the amount of allergens present in your home. Do you find yourself or your family coughing, sneezing or experiencing eye irritation? If so, a regiment of regular vacuuming, dusting and scrubbing away mold will likely reduce these symptoms and help you all breathe easier.
- Keep Dangerous Bacteria at Bay. Keeping a clean house majorly cuts down on the chances of foodborne illness spreading in your home. The Center for Disease Control estimates that nearly 50 million Americans per year contract food poisoning from bacteria such as E. coli, botulism or salmonella. Despite popular belief, most of these cases happen at home, not as a result of eating at restaurants. Regular cleaning with antibacterial products (especially in the kitchen and dining areas) will significantly reduce your chances of falling victim to food poisoning.
- Reduce Stress Levels. Both the act of cleaning and maintaining a clean house can help relieve and prevent unnecessary stress. A clean house makes it much easier to relax because things are in their proper places and clutter isn’t closing in on you. Even simple cleaning like sweeping, keeping the dishes done, and tidying up living areas will make your house look and feel in order. Plus, you’ll always be prepared for guests! You won’t have to worry if friends drop in unexpectedly.
- It’s a Mini Workout! Along with the pleasure of living in a neat, fresh home, another benefit of maintaining a regular cleaning routine is that it helps you burn off extra calories each week. Tasks such as sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, scrubbing and dusting all count as exercise. It’s a win/win!
- Motivation to Cook at Home. Let’s face it, we all fight the temptation to order in dinner or take the family out to a restaurant for a fast, convenient meal at the end of a busy day. It’s even less likely that you’ll want to stay at home to cook if your kitchen and dining room are a mess. Unfortunately, meals that aren’t cooked at home are far more likely to contain high levels of fat, salt and preservatives. So, the more you and your family are in the habit of preparing food at home, the healthier you’ll all be. (Who knew that keeping your kitchen tidy could do wonders for your waistline?!)
Now that you know more about how keeping a clean home can improve your health, you may be considering upping your game when it comes to housework. Don’t forget that you don’t have to do it yourself! Splitting chores up among family members means more gets done in a way that’s manageable for everyone. And, when you need a break, consider giving Mini Maid a call to schedule a team housecleaning. We’ll make your home sparkle while you kick back and relax! Call us at (352) 374-4141 for a free quote.